Whole wheat Tortilla – simple Homemade and delicious
Whole Wheat tortilla simple homemade are simple and easy to make at home. You will not need to buy tortillas anymore.
For this whole wheat tortilla recipe, you only need six ingredients. In addition to that, you will spare a few minutes, and you will have your healthy, soft, and delicious homemade tortillas.
Whole wheat tortillas are great for lunches and dinners, but you can as well eat them on the go.
They are super healthy and do not have those many unnecessary ingredients listed on the label of store-bought tortillas which you probably don’t need.
By the way, some of the ingredients listed on the labels are hard to read, and I do not understand why I need all of them.
Whole wheat tortillas like other whole grains are healthier compared to bleached wheat flour. They are less processed and have their essential nutrients preserved.
These tortillas are tastier and satisfying, just one is enough to keep you full for a long time.
You can eat whole wheat tortillas for tacos, with a salad of your choice or have them with some soup like this beans soup. My kids like them with soup especially bean soup, and so do I.
These whole wheat tortillas can keep well in the refrigerator for a while hence you can make more and freeze for later.
My secret to soft, delicious whole wheat tortillas
Before I used to make whole wheat tortillas using much oil and they would be too oily and hard. My family would not enjoy them, and most of the times they would end up not eating much.
Now I have learned to make them soft with little oil, and they are delicious. The tortillas would still be soft even after refrigerating and warming them up the next day.
Please do not give up when you try a recipe and it turns to something you didn’t expect. Keep working you will perfect it one day, Never give up.
The secret to soft, delicious whole wheat tortillas is;
- Use moderate amounts of oil, too much fat will make your tortillas oilier.
- Do not use much flour when kneading the dough and when rolling them.
- Use hot water (the temperature your hands can handle) while kneading the dough.
Hot water tends to soften the tortillas whereas cold water hardens them.
If you want to learn to make soft and delicious wheat tortillas, then this recipe is for you.
Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe.
Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe.
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose baking flour to make it less dense
- 3 Tsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp salt
- Two cups of hot water. The temperature your hands can tolerate
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Add the flour (both whole wheat and all-purpose flour) salt, and baking powder in a large bowl then mix well to combine the ingredients. Add two tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture and mix well between your fingers.
- Pour in the water gradually as you mix and knead the dough by hand. Do not make the dough too thick, dry or runny. If the mixture happens to be too dry, add more hot water a little at a time, it should not be sticky. Pour the remaining oil on the dough and knead it a little more. You should be able to gather it into a ball.
- Roll the dough into a ball. Cover it with a paper towel or plastic wrap and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes in a cool, dry place or the refrigerator.
- After that, divide the dough into 10-12 separate balls and roll each on a lightly floured surface probably a ten-inch circle. Do not use too much flour.
- Warm a large nonstick pan or skillet on medium-low heat and spread your rolled tortilla dough. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side or until cooked.
- Serve warm.
Stuff these delicious Red cabbage slaw in the whole wheat tortillas , add a little beans and enjoy.You can as well eat them with a delicious beans soup for tacos.