Homemade Oat milk is one of the best nut and dairy-free milk alternatives. It is made from organic raw rolled oat and water, however you can flavor it according to your preference.
Is oat milk healthy?
Oat milk is one of the best plant milks that is currently gaining popularity. Oats are low in cholesterol, and calories, but very high in fiber .They can help lower blood cholesterol, reduce weight and lower the risk of developing heart disease.
Oat milk is gluten-free,nut free and soy free.This makes it an excellent alternative to cow or nut milk for people struggling with gluten ,nut and soy allergies.
Though oat milk is not very high in protein as compared to cow, soy and other nut milks ,it is still delicious, creamy, and nutritious.
Why should you make oat milk at home?
Homemade Oat milk is natural and less expensive to make at home than buying from the store. Making your homemade version can protect you from consuming unhealthy additives and preservatives such as thickening agents and refined sweeteners or sugars.
How does it taste?
Homemade oat milk is thick, creamy and delicious.It almost tastes like cow milk but with an oaty after taste.
What do you need to make it?
The key ingredients for making oat milk are; whole organic, gluten-free oats, cold water, and a sweetener such as natural dates, maple syrup or coconut sugar.
I have used pitted dates in this recipe as a sweetener, but feel free to add any sweetener of your choice. You can as well make it unsweetened.
You will also need a milk bag or a strainer to squeeze the milk out.Additionally ,you need a milk storage jar with a lid to store it in.
Can you make different flavors of oat milk?
You can add different flavoring to your oat milk.You may decide to make it sweet,unsweetened,or add chocolate or any other flavor you like.
Should you soak oats before blending them?
Yes, you can soak oats before blending them but only for a short time.I normally wash and soak mine for at least 5 minutes.I have realized that any time they soak longer, the milk becomes slimy.
You can as well just clean the oats and blend them immediately to produce milk.
Can you heat or warm homemade oat milk?
Unlike commercial brands ,homemade oat milk tends to thicken when heated.I prefer using it cold.
How long can homemade oat milk last and do you need to refrigerate it?
I usually store mine in a clean glass jar with a tight lid in the refrigerator and it can stay fresh for 3-5 day.If it goes bad it will develop a bad smell and will kind of change it’s consistency.
How can you use oat milk?
Like any milk, oat milk is a great breakfast alternative to cow and nut milk.You can drink it or add it to your smoothies, breakfast cereals, sauces and soups.You can as well use it in in baking foods such as cakes, muffins and pancakes.
Read more:Homemade Cashew milk.
Homemade Oat milk
- High-speed blender,strainer or milk bag,milk jar
- 1 cup Whole gluten-free oats
- 4 Cups Cold water
- 2-3 Dates
- 2 tsp Vanilla powder or extract (optional)
- Soak oats in cold water for about 5-10 minutes. Please don't over soak oats. Prolonged soaking can make the milk slimy. Drain the water and rinse. Drain the water and rinse. Soaking and draining the water helps to clean, remove excess starch, and soften the oats, making them easier to blend even with a less powerful blender.
- Place the oats, dates, vanilla extract, and water in a high-speed blender. Puree the mixture at high-speed blender for 20-30 seconds or until smooth.
- Strain the blended mixture using a strainer, cheesecloth, or straining bag into a clean milk jar/container.
- Transfer the milk into a milk bottle or a milk jar. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 min -1 hr before serving.